twitter: @unmil Follow @unmil
Office: UTA 5.408 (directions to the iSchool)
Mailing address: 1616 Guadalupe St. Ste 5.202
Austin, TX 78722, USA
A relatively current CV
I investigate issues related to supporting information management for scholarly practices by blending social science research and design methods.
- Dr. Christoph Becker from the University of Toronto iSchool will present his research on Sustainability Design in Information Systems on 5/17 at 1:15 pm in classroom 1.204.
- Our paper on Information Management in the Humanities is available in the JASIST digital library.
- Work on visualizing DPLA metadata with students Geoffrey Potter and Shengwei Wang accepted for JCDL 2016.
- Co-organizing the Physical Samples and Digital Libraries (PSDL) workshop in conjunction with the ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries. Paper submissions are due on May 1st.
- Tutorial on using the Digital Public Library of America API accepted for JCDL 2016. Tutorial will be held on June 19th in Newark, NJ.
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation has funded our project titled: The Central Lunatic Asylum for the Colored Insane: Digital Archive and Library in the amount of $763,000.
- STAR – Scholars Tracking Archival Resources
- Study scholars’ primary source document collection practices in restricted environments such as archive reading rooms
- Analyze scholars’ document practices when working with multiple devices such as mobile phones, notebook computers, and digital cameras as well as cloud services.
- Central State Hospital records archival project
- Archive a historically significant collection of mental health records
- Enhance search and browsing of document images
- IMACS – Item Metadata Assimilation for Collection Snapshots
- Develop statistical and computational techniques for semi-automatic collection description
- Design a Linked Open Data Schema for tracking and sharing the evolution of DPLA collections
- MAMA – My Art My Access
- Augment digital collections with disciplinary metadata
- Employ connected learning techniques for humanities and art
- Create quality-assured, crowdsourced metadata for cultural heritage collections
- Alamo Conservation Data Management
- Study the issues involved in supporting digital conservation practices
- Design a data store for managing diverse conservation-related data, such as images, 3-D models, paper notes, chemical analysis reports, and location-based data
- Explore the use of conservation data in education
Supervising individual studies for Shengwei Wang (MSIS) and Kiu ‘Nicholas’ Lam (BS, Computer Science)
INF 385T – Metadata Generation and Interfaces for Massive Datasets
INF 397C – Understanding Research